Debt and money support

If you are having trouble paying your rent or service charges, please contact us as soon as possible on 0207 326 3700 and select the 'rent and service charge' option.

It is better to deal with the problem straight away. If you let debts build up, you could be at risk of losing your home.

There are a number of ways that we may be able to help. For example:

  • setting up personal repayment plans;
  • assessing if you are entitled to more benefits than you are currently receiving;
  • putting you in touch with other services that can help with debt advice and support;
  • exploring employment and training opportunities to raise your income. 

Free and independent debt advice

At SW9 we are committed to supporting our customers who experience money worries.

Whilst we are doing all we can to help our residents, we recognise there may be other debts that you need help and advice with. If you are worried about debts or have missed payments, there is free and independent debt advice available. The government sponsored MoneyHelper can help you find the support you need.

Visit MoneyHelper now

What other help is available to me?

If you are struggling with energy bills, Citizens Advice offer a wealth of advice on support and benefits available to you. 

SW9 can also refer you to our Welfare Benefits Officer who can help you explore the benefit options available to you. Just call us on 0207 326 3700 if you would like to arrange an appointment with our Welfare Benefits Officer.

You can also get independent advice and help from the following organisations:

Citizens Advice -  a service that provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

National Debtline - a helpline providing free, confidential advice on dealing with debt problems - 0808 808 4000 

Lambeth Household Support Scheme - support for those facing hardship, a crisis or emergency situation. 

Turn2us - which holds a wealth of information about available grants.