Service charges and ground rent

As your landlord, we can charge you for any services and works  that we provide or undertake  to your block and/or estate. This is called a service charge. The proportion of the charge that you need to pay is set out in your lease.

Services included in your service charge could include:

  • repairs and maintenance (for works that are our responsibility)
  • buildings insurance (not including contents insurance)
  • cleaning
  • gardening / grounds maintenance
  • electricity (including communal and/or estate lighting)
  • lifts, door entry systems, CCTV, communal TV aerial, mechanical ventilation
  • security
  • pest control
  • rubbish disposal
  • fire risk assessments
  • fire equipment maintenance (sprinklers, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting)
  • management fee
  • audit fee

Every leaseholder and shared owner must pay the proportion of the service charge set out in their lease.

How we calculate your service charges

Your estimated service charge

At the start of each financial year, we calculate your service charge based on an estimate of the amount that we anticipate to spend on providing services or works to your building and/or estate  over the forthcoming financial year.

In February, we will send you your yearly service charge estimate which details the amount you need to pay each month starting from 1 April.

Your actual service charge

In September, we will send out your actual service charge statement for the preceding year. Your statement will show both the estimated costs that we gave you at the start of the year and the  actual costs incurred for the year.

  • If the costs have gone down from the estimate, we will refund the difference into your account.
  • If the costs have gone up from the estimate, we will send you an invoice for the additional charge.

If you have any questions or you do not understand your service charges, please contact us.  


If you wish to dispute your service charge, please first contact us so we can try and resolve your dispute. Your dispute may be in relation to the costs of the works / services or about the standard of works / services undertaken.  

You can normally only dispute your service charge once you have been billed your actual charge.  

If you still remain unhappy about how we have tried to resolve your dispute you may make an application to the First Tier Tribunal which is an independent body. 

Ground rent

You might also be charged ground rent if you live in a flat or maisonette. You will receive an annual ground rent notice if you have to pay this charge.