Housing Options

Mutual Exchange

A mutual exchange is where you ‘swap’ homes with another tenant, who can be a SW9 Community Housing tenant or a tenant of another housing association / local council.

Is mutual exchange for you?

Mutual exchange might be for you if you:

  • Live in an overcrowded home
  • Are under-occupying your home
  • Want to move to a different area

You may not be given permission to exchange if you:

  • Are in rent arrears
  • Have legal action being taken against you
  • Have a history of anti-social behaviour

How to find your new home

We are a member of Homeswapper and House Exchange, online services which match tenants to suitable properties. These services are free and you can find out more at:

You can search for properties based on location, minimum and maximum number of bedrooms, and rent. You can also filter your search based on type of tenancy, special provision, level of urgency and features.

You must enter information about your current home into the website. The more information you put, the more likely you will be successful. You need to include information such as:

  • Size
  • Type of property
  • Location
  • Special features
  • Rent

After you have found a home to exchange you must apply to us for permission. Once we receive this form we will process the application within 42 days. Both you and the tenant you are swapping with must complete a form. You can download the form below.

Your application may be rejected if you:

  • Apply for a property that is too large or too small
  • Apply for a property designed for someone with a disability and you do not need this facility
  • Apply for a property that is part of a scheme such as older persons housing, and you don’t meet the conditions for the scheme.

Download Mutual exchange form

Medical Referral Form