If you have concerns about a neighbour's pet, look at the tabs below for advice and guidance. 

  • Dog barking

    We want everyone to enjoy living in their home and we would ask all residents to be both considerate and tolerant. We would first suggest you have a friendly word with your neighbour as they may not be aware their pet is causing a disturbance. 

    If you still feel you are being disturbed, we suggest you contact the local Environmental Health Officer. If they decided to take enforcement action, we will use this as evidence against the dog owner if appropriate.

    If the behaviour is persistent (continuous periods lasting over 30 minutes a day for at least five days within one week) and you do not feel safe approaching your neighbour, or you have tried and the situation has not improved, once you have contacted the local Environmental Health Officer, please complete our diary sheets with dates and times of the incidents. You can do this by hand or by post, but it may be quicker to do this electronically and attach them when completing our ASB online form.

    If you have concerns about the welfare of a pet, you should contact the RSPCA.

    If you are reporting other pet behaviour such as dog fouling, please use our online contact us form.

  • Dangerous dogs

    Some dogs can become aggressive and bite other people or animals.

    Under the law any dog (of any breed or type) can be considered dangerous in any place if it is not kept under control. The dog doesn’t have to bite anyone; it could just show aggressive behaviour that makes someone feel in fear for their safety.

    If you are in fear of your safety, please contact the Police immediately or report the dangerous dog.

    Once you have reported it to the Police, please contact us by phone or via our online ASB form with the incident report number and the officer’s name so we can make contact with them and work with them and agree the next steps with you and the Police.

  • Other pet issues

    Dog owners can be given an on-the-spot fine if they do not clear up after their dog. The amount varies from council to council. 

    Try speaking to your neighbour to make them aware of their responsibility. If you have tried speaking to them or do not feel able to, you can make a report.

    If the offence took place on our land, please complete our online contact us form. Once we receive your report, we will make contact with your neighbour.

    If the offence took place in a public area such as a pavement or park, please contact the Local Authority who will make contact with your neighbour and possibly issue a fine if you are able to provide them with sufficient evidence.

    We recognise that apart from dogs, there are some other pets that may also cause a nuisance to residents and we will take appropriate if we are made aware of any concerns. If you have any information of such pets, please contact us by phone, email or using our online contact us form.

    Please note, if you live in a property owned or managed by Network Homes you will need to seek prior permission from us to own a pet. Please contact us if you wish to make an application.


Return to toolkit