- Ref No: LSA/1119
- Vacancy Area: Stockwell
- Vacancy type: Full time / Permanent
- Salary: Up to £44,000 (depending on experience)
- Closing date: Sunday 8 December 2019, 23.59
- Shortlisting: Week commencing 9 December 2019
- Interviews: Tuesday 17 December and Friday 20 December 2019
About SW9 Community Housing
SW9 Community Housing is a charity responsible for the management and maintenance services for around 1,800 residential, commercial and community facilities in Stockwell/Brixton on behalf of a G15 Housing Association, Network Homes. As a resident-led organisation, we are seeking to recruit a Legal Services Advisor (Housing) to provide high quality in-house support and advice to SW9 Community Housing. With a turnover of £7.7m, and rising, we have ambitious plans. In excess of £120milllion of inward investment over the last 10 years, we aim to build a bright future for our residents. They are the reason we do what we do, and we want a like-minded visionary to join us on this journey.
About the role:
- To provide a specialist legal casework service in housing law, including litigation and to provide legal support and advice as required to the SW9 team in relation to claims for possession, ASB injunctions, disrepair, income collection, leases and contract law. Drafting legal documents in relation to claims, casework and contracts.
- Representing SW9 in court, ensuring legal risks are identified in processes and procedures at an early stage.
- Conducting disrepair Housing Management cases from start to end seeking to achieve optimum outcomes for the landlord/managing agent.
- Meet income, open cases, work in progress, and other budgetary targets set by the Senior Leadership Team (“SLT”).
- Support operational managers and SLT to ensure legal risks are identified in processes and procedures at an early stage.
- Calculate claims for damages, compensation, maintenance prior to sign off by the SLT.
- Provide training to repairs and maintenance staff on topical issues related to Disrepair
- Provide information, coaching, training and updates to housing staff and managers to include issues of law, best practice and procedure.
- Provide information to external agencies to promote the SW9 service as required.
- Act as Strategic Business partner for SW9.
To be successful in this role you will have excellent drafting skills, great organisational and project management skills, and the ability to meet deadlines. You’ll have strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, a confident, respectful manner and collaborative working style. As the role involves significant unsupervised working while part of a team, it will require demonstrable resilience. Intellectual curiosity and the necessary experience to support our work with a range of customers and stakeholders and experience in the public sector housing sphere.
When you work at SW9, you are directly impacting on the lives of our residents. In return for your energy, innovation and commitment, we offer:
- competitive pay rates
- a defined contribution Pensions Scheme (including life cover)
- competitive annual leave entitlement
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- employee assistance programme
- excellent learning & development opportunities
- staff discount scheme
- a modern office and facilities
Who we are:
- A group of people who demonstrate integrity, respect, and teamwork
- A group of people with passion, drive, and the courage to be different
- A group of people committed to doing the right thing.
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs of our social purpose. They guide our actions and behaviour. They influence the way we work as a team – and the way we serve our customers and engage with our stakeholders.
Every day, each one of us makes choices and decisions that directly affect the way we experience each other and the way our customers and stakeholders experience us. Our values give us confidence that we are using the same principles to help us make these decisions throughout our organisation.
SW9 works hard to acknowledge and celebrate individuals and teams within our organisation who consistently live our values and bring our purpose to life through their everyday behaviour, which in turn has a positive impact on our customers, community and stakeholders.
We want people who are energetic, flexible, passionate, forward thinking/innovate and creative. If you think you are the best person to help us create an even better service for our stakeholders, we want to hear from you.
How to Apply:
Please read the Role Profile for full details of the role and apply by sending your updated CV, together with a supporting statement demonstrating how you meet the person specification. You should return your application to recruitment@SW9.org.uk, ensuring you quote the Reference Number and Job Title.
Additional Recruitment Information:
Please ensure you read the Guidance Notes for candidates prior to submitting your application.
We do value every application we receive. However, due to the volume of applications we receive we are unable to acknowledge each application. We will only reply to those who have been shortlisted for interview. If you have not received a reply within two weeks of the closing date, regrettably your application was unsuccessful.
If you want to find out more about us at SW9 you can do so at: